[OntVFR] Speed sensor ... Gen 6

Robyn B Landers rblanders at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 17 11:42:20 EDT 2014

>  While riding into work this morning on QEW, I noticed my speedo went from
> triple to single digits and eventually parked itself at 0km/h
>  I am assuming it is the speed sensor although I didn't have a chance to
> inspect it yet. Worst part is honda has that item on back order till mid
> September.

I don't know how the speedo pick-up works in your series,
but in the '90-93 (and pretty sure '94-97) there is a little white
plastic gear under a cover at the countershaft sprocket area.
The slot in the gear where the speedo cable is inserted can wear
to the point where the gear doesn't turn the cable anymore.
The part is pretty inexpensive, like under $10, or so it was when
I had to replace mine.

But I had several days of erratic speedo readings before it conked out,
not a fairly sudden failure like yours.  So maybe it's different
on the newer series with electronic rather than analog instruments.