[OntVFR] FJR Discussiion

KEVIN LEPAPE klepape at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 10 12:07:33 EDT 2017

Andrew said:

If you really want power and handling in a sport touring bike it looks like the KTM Super Duke 1290 could be just the ticket. More powerful than any of its competition at 173 horse power but according to the reviews is comfortable to ride and will accommodate a passenger comfortably. Only about 450 lbs dry weight too.

I was sitting this one out thinking that I'd made the point enough times that it was getting annoying. But what Andrew said is understatement IMO. It's easily the most comfortable bike I've ever experienced, I added the KTM Powerparts seat and Knight Design footpegs that gave me near 2" more legroom when I already had more than ever before. I've got the SW Motech saddle bags, superior kit with fantastic mounting system. Add a tail bag and it's not far off a Givi-equipped VFR for capacity. No windscreen because I find the pressure perfect at 80 - 120 KPH as to be comfortable.

Handling is better than most sport bikes, linear and predictable. Not as flickable as say, an RSV4, but can be ridden very aggressively with confidence. Feels small for a 1300cc bike, I believe the dry weight is 424 lbs, wet is about 450. It's narrow and short, up on the pegs and you can putt around in tiny circles like a dirt bike. I rode an FJR once and it was impressive but like many have qualified, impressive for a BIG bike. It feels big. The traction control ABS and slipper clutch are all excellent. The power is, well, just insane. It seems much more than the numbers, this thing will happily wheelie at 160kph (sport mode trac off).

I've said it before, don't buy anything until you've ridden one of these. I noted the reviews when it came out and thought "Wow, but I have a great bike, I only ride 3-4k per season, I don't need a new/other bike." Then I rode a buddy's and couldn't live without it. Last season I put 7k on it including one 7 hour day riding back to Nelson from Kamloops. Got an early start, 7 hours to Nelson, arrived 1 PM ish, had a bite, weather was perfect, so why not? Took off the bags (1 minute) jumped on and went for a 2 hour local rip. It's just that comfortable and that much fun.