[OntVFR] 1st time 25 yrs I am vfrless.

Andrew Carlyle carlyle.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 12:09:26 EDT 2017

Suzuki has a recall campaign on for the V-Strom 650 stator (and I think
other bikes that share the same component). I think it covers 2012 and
newer V-Strom models but not sure. My 2014 V-Strom had a new stator
installed on it this year at no charge to me. Keeping my fingers crossed
that the new one is more durable than the original part. The original
stator was a common failure item on V-Stroms from what I have read.

Electrical gremlins seem to be an issue with a lot of bikes and not limited
to any specific brand. My own personal view is that manufactures seem to
use components that are on the edge of not being up to the job. I think
this is a result both of cost and weight issues. I recall a few years ago
reading about a sport bike (can't remember which one now) that had dropped
weight by using lighter weight wiring. By lighter weight they meant
thinner.