[OntVFR] 1st time 25 yrs I am vfrless.

Andrew Carlyle carlyle.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 19:22:06 EDT 2017

Both the ST and the FJR are excellent bikes in my view. They do a lot of
things right, are very reliable and comfortable. For me personally they are
just too heavy.  They hide their weight well but at times it just can't
help but be felt. These days I am a real fan of the adventure touring style
of bikes. I have two of them (Ducati Multistrada 1200S and Suzuki 650
V-Strom) and love them both. Very comfortable on the long haul and lighter
to manage than the big sport tourers. Adventure tourers tend not to have
quite the wind protection that the sport tourers do. But you would be
surprised at how well the manufacturers have managed to configure wind
screens and body work to give you a lot more wind protection than you would
think.  I would say that both my bikes provide equal or better wind
protection than a VFR. However not up to the level of the bikes you are
considering.

If I wanted to go back to a sport touring bike it would probably be a BMW
R1200RT for me.  I had two of those bikes and there is nothing, in my
humble opinion like them in the category. The best wind protection and
handling in the class combined with all day comfort. They are great for two
up riding.  It is also lighter than any of its competition. The faring on
that thing is close to magical and the 26 liter tank combined with good gas
mileage means you can go 500 kms on a tank of gas. The electrically
adjustable wind screen is a real nice feature.  The power is decent and the
bike can move reasonably quickly and its handling is in my opinion the best
in its class. That said the telelever front suspension does take some
getting used to and can feel a bit "numb". I recognize that these bikes can
have some issues with things breaking. The good news is that most of the
things that break won't strand you but they will annoy the crap out of you
(like a failing fuel level sensor for instance).  Maintenance can be
expensive also. Mine required service every 10,000 kms and the dealer
charged me about $500 for the job.  Since I was doing about 10,000 kms a
year that was a once a year expense for me.  But I have gone 1200kms in a
day on one of these things and didn't mind climbing on the next day and
doing another 800.

Having said that i wouldn't these days want any of the big sport tourers.
They are just too big for me.