[OntVFR] OntVFR Digest, Vol 42, Issue 12 FJR discussions

Andrew Carlyle carlyle.andrew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:27:43 EDT 2017

If you really want power and handling in a sport touring bike it looks like
the KTM Super Duke 1290 could be just the ticket. More powerful than any of
its competition at 173 horse power but according to the reviews is
comfortable to ride and will accommodate a passenger comfortably.  Only
about 450 lbs dry weight too.

I rode last year in California with a guy who had one. My Ducati is no
slouch in the power compartment and on paper should be somewhat close to
the KTM but in the real world it just didn't seem like it. He would crank
the throttle and just be gone.

I have to admit that I have been noodling on trading the Ducati for one of
these things. I know its not sensible and I know it would be expensive but
every time I look at this bike my eyes kind of glaze over and I feel a sort
of thrill in the pit of my stomach. Maybe I need therapy.