[OntVFR] Earplugs vs GPS

Andrew Carlyle carlyle.andrew at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 09:15:07 EDT 2017

Was doing some googling on the issue and discovered that in a few states in
the US motorcycle helmets using speakers for GPS and intercom are
considered headsets and the equivalent of using earbuds. Most states
specifically exclude them from the law (thus permitting their use) but the
point is that even having speakers installed in your helmet could be
considered illegal under the right circumstances.  Also apparently there
are some states that prohibit the use of foam earplugs while riding. I saw
this last bit on a motorcycle forum but haven't tried to track down if the
statement is accurate or not so it may not be true but one can envision a
law framed in such a way that anything that reduces your ability to hear is
illegal. I guess you make your choices and take your chances.