[OntVFR] Earplugs vs GPS

Lisa geekgrrrl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:29:45 EDT 2017

There is nothing in the HTA to prevent usage of earbuds/headsets.  Your son’s friend was charged incorrectly. This happens, police don’t know all the laws they enforce and sometimes they are vague, but if I were charged I’d be bringing screen shots of that MTO website as defence. That being said if your son’s friend were using it and still picked up his phone to dial or text he would be breaking the law.

From 2 years ago
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/distracted-driving-101-whats-legal-and-what-isnt
"A: Bluetooth is the best hands-free option, but it isn’t very popular with younger drivers. Alternatively, drivers can mount their phones on their dash and use it on speakerphone. Earphones are another grey area; technically they’re legal, but they block the outside world out. If a driver is going to use earphones with the built-in microphone, Gaiten prefers he or she uses only one ear bud."

this suggests earbuds are ok
https://www.ontario.ca/page/distracted-driving
"You can use:
a hands-free device (e.g. Bluetooth) but only to turn it on and off
a mounted device (e.g. phone, GPS) as long as it is secure  – not moving around while driving"
and this site (ministry of ontario) states headsets are allowed.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/distracted-driving-faq.shtml
"You can use any device that you do not touch, hold or manipulate while driving, other than to activate or deactivate it. Actions like dialing or scrolling through contacts are not allowed.
Type of device
Can I use it?
A cell phone with an earpiece, headset or Bluetooth device using voice-activated dialing.
Yes - only to activate or deactivate a “hands-free” function, and only if the device is mounted or secured.
Actions like dialing or scrolling through contacts are not allowed.
"