[OntVFR] Countdown...

Robyn Landers rblanders at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 14 12:37:48 EDT 2018

Have you ridden in the Laurentians / Laurentides area before?
If not I could recommend some roads.

The Parc du Mauricie, farther to the east, is a nice destination to ride in,
but this year only the western part is open, so only about 30 km of road.
The rest is being repaved. (Which means it is going to be fantastic next year!)
Nevertheless, the part that is open is quite enjoyable with lots of nice curves
and a few sections of tight twists, though the posted limit at 50 km and 70 km
is a bummer.  Traffic, however, was negligible and I kept a sharp eye out for
park ranger vehicles, so it is within the realm of possibility that I may have
inadvertently slightly exceeded the posted limit for a few moments here and there.

There are several pull-outs for a rest and some scenic viewing, and of
course plenty of trails if you want to park and go on a bit of a hike.
I rode the open section four times: twice for the ride, once for the scenery,
and once to stop at a few of the short walks.

Fortunately the route there and back through the countryside is also quite pleasant,
and unlike Ontario where we have endless straight flat roads through fields
with nothing around for miles that are posted at 80 km/h, in rural Quebec through
rolling hills and forested countryside it's 90.