[OntVFR] Phone charging

Dave Weese northernvfrdave at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 19:57:42 EDT 2019

I put a duel usb/voltmeter unit on my 07 last fall I got off Amazon.
Voltmeter is junk, shows 15volts on the highway, well my Zumo shows 13.7.
The Zumo has been on the bike since basically day one. They both get their
power from the same auxiliary relay I installed years ago. I know the relay
does drop the voltage a little, as right at the battery its 14.1 at idle so
I trust the Zumo.

But back on track... your phone isnt going to draw much. Most those USB
units push between 1-2amps at 5volts. Not all phones will accept a high
current charge from a device it does not recognize. My Samsung S9+ will
only fast charge when connected to a Samsung charger. So even if your phone
is going to draw the full 2amps at 5v. Your only talking 0.75ish of an amp at
12vdc. And that is when it's dead, once changed it's going to draw peanuts
plugged in.

Your voltages sound fine to me. your engine has to be spinning above a
certain RPM for the stator to start making a whole lot of power. That's why
you see the voltage fall off when at idle.

Dave Weese