[OntVFR] clutch

Lisa geekgrrrl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 11:01:52 EDT 2019

It is normal, there is a little drag transferring power from the engine to the rear wheel. Oil is slippery but it is not 100% frictionless. If you are in gear with the clutch pulled in there is more power transfer than when the bike is in neutral. If you are starting the bike in gear you will notice the bike pull forward. Starting the bike in gear isn’t best practice, easy for something to go wrong (I learned this the hard way when I started a bike on the kickstand while not astride it).

Not trying to mansplain here, assuming you’re able to start your bike as you’ve stated so.
I teach motorcycle safety for Rider Training Institute, for the lesson on starting the bike safely we use the acronym “K.N.I.F.E. C.C.S.” while sitting on the bike. Basically; kickstand (I got a cheap parts bike from someone that forgot to put his up), neutral (move the bike, don’t trust the light), ignition, fuel tap (if the bike has one), engine kill switch (use it or lose it, keep it free of corrosion), choke/computer (if f.i. Then wait for the computer to do its diagnostics), clutch (in case you have it in gear), starter button.

Now if a student stalls a bike while riding I tell them not to bother with the “knife dance” because they already did it, instead make sure in first gear and then pull in clutch start and go (no one has time to wait for you to do the knife dance in traffic)

Lisa