[OntVFR] Looking for a part - 2000 VFR800 rear brake master cylinder

Robyn Landers rblanders at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 22 11:01:40 EDT 2019

The suggestion to rebuild assumes that (a) who knows what kind of ratty condition
the used part might be in, and (b) maybe yours is fine other than needing new seals.
You might buy a used one and need to rebuild it with new seals too, or worse,
the inside of the cylinder itself might be scored or corroded etc.

The tricky step in redoing a master cylinder is removal of the circlip that holds
things in place, and reinstalling it afterwards.  When I rebuilt my front brake master cylinder,
I ended up taking it to KW Honda, where I had bought the rebuild kit, because I couldn't
get the circlip to cooperate.  They kindly popped the old out and the new in for me.
I reinstalled it on the bike and filled and bled the brake fluid.

I don't think you've mentioned yet what the symptoms are with your rear brake.
How did you determine that the master cylinder is the problem?