[OntVFR] Sena Bluetooth 10S communicator

Andrew Carlyle carlyle.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 14:07:07 EDT 2019

As I say I haven’t tried using my Sena for bike to bike. I use it to
connect to my GPS and for streaming music. That said I was under the
impression it would work like my Cardo did but as with many things I am
probably wrong.  Sounds like the Sena and Cardo are similar in that once
properly set up you shouldn’t have to push any buttons while riding to
initiate communication.

Just to explain this is how my Cardo worked:

Basically with the Cardo you pair the units and then each time you turn
them on after pairing they would connect if they are in range.  They
announce they are paired with a message like “Rider One Connected”. This
tells you your buddies unit is connected to yours. After that assuming you
are using VOX mode all you needed to do was start talking and it would
start transmitting to the connected unit or units.  Once set up there are
no buttons to push ever for basic communications between riders (other than
the main power on button).  Only problem with the VOX mode was you
sometimes miss the first word or two as the unit would go into low power
standby when you weren’t talking and when you started talking it first had
to power up and reconnect to the paired unit or units. This delay caused
you to miss a word or two. The way around that was just say something like
hello in a loud voice, and then wait for the beep to tell you it was
connected and then start talking.

Sena advertises a VOX mode so I assumed it would be similar to Cardo but
since I haven’t used it I really don’t know. Of course there are different
models and different generations of devices which often work slightly
differently which is an added complication. Probably the best thing to do
is look up the manual for the unit you want to buy and read up on how it
works.