[OntVFR] New topic-5th generation charging issues

Brian Polley rbpolley at gmail.com
Sun May 12 13:03:49 EDT 2019

Hi All,

I have a pristine 2000 VFR 800 with about 18K on it. I don't ride it much-it
has become a garage queen.

Some time ago I looked at the battery charging voltage. It is charging to 16
volts. I know this is not good. I am getting various tips on trouble
shooting regarding the stator and the rectifier. As far as I can tell,
performing all these tests my rectifier and stator test good. But they are
stock.

I have been in discussion with Ricks,
<https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=channel_description&q=http%3A%2F%2Fw
ww.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com&redir_token=BImr3DCqO887ZxIX_pYMZhzEbKt8MTU1
NzUxMjkxNEAxNTU3NDI2NTE0> http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

They have provided some trouble shooting tips, however they have not really
spawned any solutions.

The following is a procedure that apparently shows the issue and some clue
as to why the bike is over charging.

Put a volt meter on the battery -start the bike-read the voltage---if over
14.5 volts you have a overcharging issue. Mine is at 16 volts

On the static test (bike off) at the battery take a voltage reading, I have
13.75 volts.

Keep the neg. DVM  connected to the battery and touch the +ve lead to the
control wire in the rectifier connection (small black wire) and turn on the
ignition, the voltage  should be the same as the battery and if it is low,
(I get 13.3V)  then there is some resistance in the system which forces the
stock rectifier to over- charge. I am seeing about .5 V drop with this test.
What is normal on other bikes?

When I run the bike I get 16.04 V at the battery. If you jumper from the red
wire +ve. on the rectifier connection to the black control wire it forces  a
proper control voltage to the rectifier and it reduces its output by about
.5 volt. This procedure just confirms that the control wire part of the
system is not giving the rectifier the voltage it needs to prevent over
charging.

I have taken the instrument cluster off it's mount and re connected all of
the small connections-(other than the ones to the instrument cluster) and
added some dielectric grease to all of the connections.

I took of the ignition switch thinking I would take it apart to look for a
bad connection. I don't have the proper tool to disassemble it , but it
seems very clean. I put it back on making sure it was well grounded. I also
tightened the spade connections on this connector.

None of this has helped at all.  It seems there are two options. Replace the
ignition switch to see if that is where the resistance is coming from or
replace the rectifier and see what happens. I'm not a fan of guess work so
hoping someone who has experienced this issue can shed some light on all of
this for me.

My question to the group is: Has any one ever done all these tests and if
yes what were the readings on your bike.

If anyone has a 2000 (5th generation) maybe you could share your story and
if you did in fact have this issue and how you fixed it.

I think that maybe the stock rectifier cannot handle the resistance in the
wiring and therefore is over charging. I don't really know if a new
"improved" rectifier will solve the problem or just mask it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Brian Polley---out west in Kelowna-

My direct e mail is rbpolley at gmail.com