[OntVFR] FW: Ducati Confessions

Andrew Carlyle carlyle.andrew at gmail.com
Fri May 17 16:49:43 EDT 2019

I have a 2015 Ducati Multi 1200S and after putting some 25,000 kilometers
on it my take is somewhat different. A couple of years ago I rode it to
California and back a trip of some 11,000 kilometers door to door. I know
everyone is different and each person can have a different experience on
the same bike but I found the bike very comfortable when doing back to back
600 kilometer days. These days I am unable to ride a VFR due to back issues
(I can't do the sport bike forward lean any more) but I can ride the Ducati
just fine.  Last fall I rode from WDGAH to home in one day (I think I
clocked about 900 kilometers).

As to the power of the bike and the engine characteristics that depends on
which riding mode you are in. There are four modes one being enduro, one
being city and the other two being touring and sport respectively. The
enduro and City modes limit power to 100 bhp while the other two both are
full power modes (160 HP). According to dyno tests I have seen real world
rear world horsepower is somewhere in excess of 140 hp (I have seen 146 in
a few tests).

The suspension is automatically adjusted depending on what mode you
choose.  You can if you want adjust everything manually included the level
of intervention. If you want you can shut it all off entirely.

Not sure what mode you were in but there is a noticeable difference in
engine characteristics even between the full power touring and sport modes.
Touring is softer and the Sport is much more aggressive. Suspension is
noticeably tauter in sport mode. Although I haven't tried it personally I
am told that with wheelie control disabled it is very easy to wheelie the
bike using the throttle alone.

As to performance it will eat VFRs, and a lot of other bikes, for lunch.
Much sharper handling than a Viffer and although the power may not seem
that much different it really is a pretty dramatic difference. You would
have to ride a Multi on a twisty road (such as those found in North
Carolina or the California mountains) to truly appreciate how much faster
it is than a VFR. Around here, as we all know, there aren't many roads that
even come close to challenging any modern motorcycle.

But the bottom line is that if you don't care for it you don't care for it.
Not everyone who rides a VFR thinks it is great either.